2019 Taiwanese American Heritage Scholarship
Founded in 1989, the Taiwanese Heritage Society of Houston (THSH) is committed to promoting Taiwanese American culture and serving the general public in the greater Houston area. The establishment of the Scholarship Program further affirms our ongoing effort to advocate for higher education and community service for young adults.
Terms of the scholarship program are summarized below. An independent Scholarship Committee is appointed to oversee the selection of scholarship recipients. Funding for the scholarship program is provided in large by THSH, along with the generous contributions from the Dr. and Mrs. Ping-Cheng Wu Memorial Fund and the Ms. Amy Lin Memorial Fund.
The amount of each scholarship is USD $500. The list of recipients will be announced on October 31, 2019. The award ceremony will take place on November 9, 2019 during the THSH annual fundraiser at the Taiwanese Community Center. Recipients will be invited by email to attend the ceremony and receive the award in person.
Basis of Evaluation
Applications are evaluated based on academic merit, community service, and cultural identity.
1. Applicant must be a resident of the greater Houston metropolitan area.
2. Applicant must be of Taiwanese descent. At least one parent must be Taiwanese or Taiwanese American.
3. Applicant must be committed to begin a full time undergraduate study in an accredited college, university, or institution of higher education in the United States in Fall of 2020.
Please email digital copies of documents for items 2 - 5 to THSH@houston-taiwanese.org
*Recommendation letters should be emailed directly from your recommenders.
1. Completed online application form.
2. Most current official high school transcripts.
3. Copy of an official SAT or ACT score reports.
4. Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or a community leader.
5. A personal statement including but not limited to the following:
- Please explain how your Taiwanese or Taiwanese American heritage has shaped you as a young adult.
- Please tell us how you plan on remaining engaged in the Taiwanese or Taiwanese American community in the future.
- Please limit your personal statement to 650 words.
All required documents must be received by 11:59pm CST, October 11, 2019.
Please direct your questions to The Scholarship Committee at THSH@houston-taiwanese.org